Saturday, May 10, 2008

When Values Fall Flat

I'm not a fan of most modern art. I'm not a fan of the idea that is seemingly espoused by modern art that anyone is an artist and anything is art, but I've never been able to succinctly say what it is that I dislike in modern art. However, I have been reading Barrett's Irrational Man and, in his explanation as to what modern art does, he explains my dislike quite handily.

Barrett writes about how modern art is a flattening. Modern art, he writes, is a flattening of planes (near and far are brought together and perspective loses its importance), a flattening of climaxes (the is no big event or main focus), and a flattening of values (everything is equal to everything else).

I guess I like some things to be more valuable than others. I don't like the idea that my random scribble and Caravaggio's Doubting Thomas are of equal value. Thoughts?

No comments: