Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Home by Marilynne Robinson

Today I got one of those unexpected surprises that comes with working in a bookstore. One of our buyers called to let me know that she had an advanced reader set aside with me in mind.

That reader is Home by Marilynne Robinson. This may not be very exciting for you, but it is for me. I discovered Robinson in 2004, when she wrote her Pulitzer Prize winning novel Gilead, which quickly became one of my favorite works of fiction ever written.

I quickly sought out all that Robinson had written, only to discover that there wasn't much. Besides one other brilliant novel (Housekeeping), Robinson has also written a few collections of essays, also brilliant.

Still, Housekeeping was written in 1980, and I figured I'd be reading Robinson's next novel around the time I was sending Harry to college. 

All that to say...I'm excited.

Question for today: what's a book you discovered that changed your life?

1 comment:

Dallas Peters said...

Bringing Heaven Down to Earth. It was a major theological shift for me. No more escape hatch theology.

The second was Home From Nowhere by James Howard Kunstler. A non-christian (I assume) seeing how our culture has been degraded by a loss of values due to the suburb, the automobile, and energy dependance. Good book. Changed everything for me.

Other better books, these two changed my life.