Friday, May 23, 2008

Here's What I've Got

I got to hear a local pastor speak last night about the good their church is doing in the community. This isn't a guy planning big events or raising lots of money. This is a guy whose family takes in addicts and abused kids into their double wide trailer when they have nowhere else to go. He kept saying that we're all waiting for some big thing we can do before we do anything. He said, "I know a guy who says, 'We're trying to purchase 10 acres to build housing for the homeless.' I told him, "Have you got a spare bedroom? Why wait?'" At one point he said this of our responsibilities:

"Our job is to say, 'Here's what I've got. I can give this.' Then we put it all in the pot and see what God does with it."

It was one of the better definitions of church that I had ever heard.

No comments: