Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I'll Give Them That

It's a rare thing for me to agree with much coming out of the current White House, but I agreed with them on something today.

Today is the day that I saw the official White House response to the McClellan book, which states that the war in Iraq was a huge misstep and that the White House made a choice against candor and honesty.

I don't disagree with McClellan one bit. The White House, as you'd expect, disagrees with McClellan. I disagree with the White House.

McClellan goes on to say that he was in a constant state of righteous indignation and suffered constant attacks of conscience. The White House asks, "then why are we just hearing about this in a published book after you were asked to leave?"

And I have to agree with the White House. Much as we needed McLellan to speak out, we really needed him to do it years ago. It's a lot easier to shout "shame on you" once you have more to gain than lose. 

I can't give the White House much, but I'll give them that.

4 comments:

carl said...

I agree that if he really had a problem with them he should have made it more known, and from what little I've heard on the way home it wasn't well-known within the administration. On a related note, Jeff Ward was talking about what Colin Powell knew and the question of why has he not been pressed to tell us what he was thinking when he said WMD's were present?

All of this helps is another example that we can never really know the motivations behind govt leaders, and as much as we should demand transparency, I rest safe in the reality that as Derek Webb says, "My first allegiance is not to the flag, a country, or man...my first allegiance is to a king and a kingdom."

Bob said...

while i would have preferred to hear this when it actually was taking place, I am thankful for his efforts now

truth-telling is powerful and redemptive when it's hard

Kester said...

i agree with you bob, it just doesn't seem as hard now. i'm not saying i don't appreciate his efforts, i'm just saying that they come off as too little too late.

craig said...

I need more reporting like I got from Frontline on "Bush's War". Though we've been living it for years now, this really helped me with context, besides giving a few new insights.

My only "real" comment:
Profiteering takes many forms and is contemptible regardless of the form or of the size of the donated profits.