Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Elvis Costello's Momofuku

I was right to be excited.

Elvis made me wait this go 'round, but it was worth it. The wait came by virtue of the fact that EC first released this album on vinyl, which only helps me if I'm looking to decorate. The CD release came weeks later.

Turns out the choice to begin with a vinyl only release wasn't an arbitrary one. This was EC's less than subtle promise of a classic.

He delivers. Upon just a few listens, I'm ready to call this one of the best Costello albums ever recorded. It's frantic and fun and loose and lively. It's ironic and iconic and witty and wise. It is all that you hope for from an Elvis Costello album and it includes one of my favorite EC lines to date ("she wishes he were mute and not just dumb"). For those who wondered if his aim was still true, he recorded a collection of songs that could have featured alongside that particular hit.

And, in case you're concerned that this is just a rehash on tired themes, this old dog still does new tricks, including a song featuring Jenny Lewis of Rilo Kiley. It's as effective a pairing as his work with Aimee Mann a decade ago.

All that to say, EC's still got it. This could very well turn out to be my favorite album of 2008.

3 comments:

happytheman said...

Dude this is just killing me I got my B&O turntable fixed a couple a months ago and had no idea this came out in Vinyl....agh...never mind i've got it on the IPOD and have been listening to it all week since Tuesday like at 12:01am.

craig said...

Oh man, that is a classic line. Started with EC in jr high. He's so good and so solid. He won't quit rockin' till he can't think no more.

Sam said...

Saw him last night. Unintentionally, really, because he and the Imposters opened for The Police (check that concert of my life's To Do List). He did well. The sound was a bit abrasive. But his organist stole the show really. Great use of special effects on his sound. Wish you could have been there instead of me b/c I know you're a big fan. Thought of ya.