Thursday, May 15, 2008

Christian Existentialist

Lately I've been getting comments on the fact that I have Christian Existentialist as my Religious Views on facebook. Kierkegaard is my guide on this, so let me sum up some of his thought on this specifically.

Christianity contains eternal truths that are objectively true. Things that don't change based upon a specific person's believing them or not. I believe this.

Existentialism speaks to the importance of subjective truths, that until something is true for you, it might as well not be true.

Christian Existentialism insists that no amount of objective belief about Christ having risen from the dead matters if Christ is still dead in you.

And that's what I believe. My refusing to call Jesus Lord doesn't make Him less of a Lord, except in terms of my own life, in which I can decide whether to make Him Lord or not.

Too many people want to believe in Christ objectively, but not subjectively. They proclaim His Lordship as true, but not in a way that it effects them directly.