Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Connecting Over BRUUUUUUUUCE!

So, Harry (my 3 year old son) has started shouting BRUUUUUCE anytime he hears music by or sees an image of Bruce Springsteen. You might find this annoying, but I never get tired of it. I am a huge Bruce Springsteen fan.

This week, Harry and his mom are away in Arkansas. It is the longest that Harry and I have ever been apart. Yesterday I talked to Rachel and she shared with me that, when asked if he wanted to listen to dinosaur songs or wiggleworms, Harry responded, "I want Bruce. I miss my daddy."

Question for the day: What's a song or artist that you share with someone else? Tell us about the person and the music that bonds you.

1 comment:

Gillian said...

Hooray! I pray to God I get to have a kid that rad!

Actually, Bruce is one of those musicians that I've bonded over. My freshman year of college I really didn't know where I fit in--there seemed to be a fundamentalist vs. hippie line I was straddling in the small mountain town I moved to. There was this girl in my dorm who also had crazy black curls that she cut with plastic kindergarten scissors. She was nuts--certifiably, in way that leads to occasional hospitalization and medication-tweaking--and she was obsessed with Springsteen. We would drive around the mountains to get away from the weirdness of our campus and she'd play me bootleg after bootleg after bootleg and relate everything happening in our lives to a Bruce song. All of our crushes were Spanish Johnnies and we were Puerto Rican Janes. "Tracks", the big box set, came out that year and I stayed up late with her while she listened to all 66 songs while flipping through the liner notes. One day she abruptly packed her stuff and headed for Jersey, but I think she ended up back in the hospital. Everything I know about Bruce I learned from her.