Tuesday, March 20, 2007

They Like Jesus, But Not The Church

I mentioned, in a recent post, that I just finished a fantastic book called "They Like Jesus, But Not The Church" by Dan Kimball. In it, Kimball responds to the increasing number of people who would echo the words of Gandhi "I do not like your Christians, they are so unlike your Christ." Kimball then peppers the book with bits from informal interviews between himself and non-Christian friends. He wraps the book up by putting forth 6 reasons that non-Christians are most wary of the church. They are:

• The church is just organized religion that is politically motivated.
• The church is homophobic.
• The church takes the entire Bible literally.
• The church represses women.
• The church is judgmental and negative.
• The church arrogantly think all other religions are wrong.

What I'd like to do is address these in upcoming blogs. I'm bound to have some top ten lists and random comments thrown into the mix, but I hope to share some of what Kimball has to say, what I have to say, and what I believe the Bible has to say about these 6 concerns.

I should add that I plan to add something to the conversation, not that I plan to respond with the end all be all comment that will make such conversation unnecessary.

And that I'll feel free to debate and correct myself.

I'm hoping for some lively discussion. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Chris Chappotin said...

I'm here, and looking forward to the conversation.

jch said...

I, too, I'm looking forward to this.