Friday, March 9, 2007

Hell Pt 2

I realized late last night why this topic had been so hard coming, why it had been so difficult a truth to speak. See, most of the time I preach, I preach truths that I need to hear. It makes it easier to speak hard truths, because I see my own need to hear them and can speak out of empathy. But this week I was seeing things from an “I’m in” vs. “they’re out” perspective.

And therein lies the problem. I was ignoring what Jesus said right before this parable. I forgot who he was talking to.

Jesus chastises the religious folks because they think the fact that they aren’t suffering means that they’re getting things right. They figure they’re in with God simply because they believe in Him and don’t have anything else to worry about, unlike the Gentile outsiders who still risk God’s punishment. Jesus makes clear that this isn’t the case. God isn’t looking for believers, He’s looking for followers. He’s looking for us to produce good fruit.

So this sermon is for me and the church folks as much as it’s for anyone. The Kingdom of God is at hand, it is breaking through into our current reality. And if we’re just sitting around and waiting for the end to come, figuring that our belief is enough, we may have a surprise in store. We are called to be disciples, not believers, we’re called to follow Christ, not just call him “Lord, Lord.”

So, what fruit are we producing? How is the world a better place as a result of our being here? Who, outside of those who are currently a part of this community, would have their world and their lives impacted if we were suddenly gone? How are we going about making sure that the Kingdom is spreading on earth as it is in heaven? What are we doing to combat hell?

Because hell isn’t just about what happens when we die, it’s what results when we try to live without Jesus. It’s what results when we pay his name lip service, but don’t join in his service. Heaven is about the Kingdom and the Kingdom is about mission. It’s about faith the size of a mustard seed that grows into something huge. It’s about the love of God that spreads through a city like yeast in dough. It’s about bearing good fruit, fruit that gives life and hope to those it is offered to. It’s about so much more than simply believing we’re “in” and resting in that hope. It’s about going out and taking the love of Jesus to a world that is broken. It's about feeding people who are hungry and ending slavery and battling addiction and confronting injustice and befriending those who are lost and lonely. It’s about being an outpost and signpost of heaven in a world that is bent on hell.

3 comments:

simplegestures said...

I think it was Rob Bell that said many people, both believers and non-believers are experiencing hell on a daily basis. Ask the kid living in a cardboard box under the bridge if hell exists. Ask the single mom working 3 jobs if hell exists. Ask the kids forced into slavery if hell exists.

So, if I who proclaim to follow Christ am unwilling to do anything about the suffering of those around me, what exactly do I believe. In essence, I don't believe anything because if I did, I would be willing to do as my Lord has taught me. I am only adding to the misery of those who are experiencing hell on earth. Bell says our job is to demonstrate the love of Christ and proclaim His love for those most in need. Very simple...demonstrate and proclaim. Maybe I can do that?

jch said...

Luke 13:1-9 is difficult, huh? It's Sunday morning and I just finished putting the final touches on this afternoon's sermon. The urgency depicted in this text is unmistakable...as is the "divine patience" declared!

I appreciate your take on the text and your willingness to broach the urgency aspect of the text.

Love that you preach the lectionary. I've been doing it since seminary and find it a great exercise in homiletics but wonderful for the community of faith to follow the story!

adam said...

A preacher friend of mine who I respect greatly has argued that the Kingdom of God is present wherever love, grace and truth are practiced, whether practiced by a "believer" or not. I would agree, and conversely argue that hell is present (in some sense) where love, grace and truth are abandoned.

I think you're on the right track by focusing on the here and now, the immediate. It makes heaven and hell practical and it makes our experience of these (or theology of these) relational, not merely philosophical. (In other words, it links my experience of heaven or hell to the present and to how I relate to others and to God.)

This resonated with Biblical truth.