Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Reading more than listening

Yes, I usually make this an every Friday thing, but I've jumped ahead on my reading. Not just because a few of my most recent selections were shorter (though that helps), but because I tripped down the stairs two nights ago and have been convalescing. Reading is about all I can do.

I finished "What Jesus Meant" and found it very rewarding, enjoyable, and enlightening. I look forward to reading Willis' follow up, "What Paul Meant".

I also finished "Envy". I won't say that Sweeney steered me wrong, but I didn't love it. It reminded me of other brilliant writers that I don't enjoy, in particular Henry Miller. The premise works, but quickly turns into a series of fever dreams that may or may not have happened and to no great consequence. Call me old fashioned, but I tend to like a plot, even if it is just a brother and sister having a conversation.

"Decoding The Universe" is slow going, but fascinating.

"Professor and the Madman" is speeding by, and also fascinating.

"The Ongoing Moment" is equally fascinating, and has no particular speed.

I have picked up two more books, both of which I am enjoying a great deal:

"Exiles" is written by Michael Frost, and is a call to Christians to embrace the end of Christendom as an opportunity to live as the rabble rousers Christ called us to be. It is a reminder that we weren't meant to align with the power brokers of this day or any other, but to seek out the marginalized and show them the love of God.

"Miss Lonelyhearts" is written by Nathanael West, the man who might have been F Scott Fitzgerald if he hadn't died so young and written so little. "The Day of the Locust" is his classic work, but "Miss Lonleyhearts" is equally excellent.

3 comments:

thepriesthood said...

awesome article on NextWAve. rocked. i left you a note.

Jason said...

Do you have the edition of Day of the Locusts that also includes Miss Lonelyhearts? It's been several years since I've read either of those works. I may have to go back and revisit them now.

Jason

Kester said...

Tyler, thanks for the kudos. Jason, I have the edition with the two in one. In fact, all four of his novels are compiled into two two for one sets.