Friday, March 30, 2007

Reading and Listening

Still getting through "Decoding the Universe". Tom Hanks said it best in "A League of Their Own"; "the hard is what makes it great." This is no easy book to grasp.

Finished "Professor and the Madman". Amazing story, all the more so for being a true story. I spent the entire book saying to friends and family "they should make a movie out of this" only to discover, yesterday, that they plan to.

"The Ongoing Moment" has been set down for the moment. I realized that the nature of the book allows for, and even invites, this. So, I'll be picking it up here and there. Very enjoyable.

"Exiles" is excellent. It's time for Christians to stop fighting for their rights and modeling their lives on the one who "being in very nature, God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped." Stop trying to be so powerful. Jesus never tried to be. Instead, speak truth to power and live within the power and love of God.

Finished "Miss Lonelyhearts". If you like Fitzgerald and haven't read West, pick this up.

Read "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner", a collection of short stories by Allan Stillitoe (Sillitoe?). So good, I can't even describe it. I'm recommending this to Wellington as thanks for his recommendations to me.

Reading the advanced reader of the upcoming Michael Chabon novel "The Yiddish Policeman's Union". His best yet. And that's saying something.

Listening to The Arcade Fire and Ted Leo and Magnetic Fields. How did I miss how good "69 Love Songs" is? I'm picking this up asap.

No comments: