Thursday, February 15, 2007

Reading and Listening

So, I've decided to make "what I am reading/listening to" a regular feature on the ol' blog. I'm ADD and an avid enough reader/listener for that to change on a weekly basis. So, here's where we are this week:

Reading...

Any Human Heart by William Boyd. My friend and co-worker, Wellington Chew, suggested that I read this. It's a novel laid out as one man's series of journals throughout the 20th century. I'm only a third of the way through it and already tempted to call it a favorite. An excellent story.

Decoding the Universe by Charles Seife. Also recommended by Wellington. Also excellent. A very readable physics book for right brained people looking to tackle left brained subjects. I felt smarter just reading the introduction. And my head is swimming with sermon ideas connecting the Word to information and redundancy to His clues in the universe.

The Brothers K by David James Duncan. This is a re-read of one of my favorite novels. A story of a family trying to reconcile faith and family and love and loyalty and so on. It's very sad and very raw and very real.

The Soul of Prayer by PT Forsyth. Reading about prayer always does exactly what I hope it will do, which is get me praying more. Forsyth is amazing. Prayer is amazing. God is amazing. Not at all necessarily in that order.


Listening to...

Tommorow Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Bill Fay Group. If you haven't heard Bill Fay, but love Nick Drake, Bob Dylan, and every other iconic singer/songwriter I might name, you need to hear Bill Fay. Jeff Tweedy does a cover of Bill Fay's "Be Not So Fearful" in his live show, so you Wilco fans might like him too. Tomorrow may be my least favorite of his three, but it is also the most recent and my most recent purchase and may just need time to claim the 2nd or 1st place. A third place Bill Fay album is still a first rate album.

Live In Texas by Lyle Lovett. It's been awhile since I popped Lyle in the stereo, but I'm glad I did. This live show is so much fun. Rachel and I got to see this same tour at the Backyard some years back, and it was fantastic. His backup band and singers are something to hear as well.

Ill Communication by The Beastie Boys. I just needed to hear some 'Sabotage' this week. This music makes me want to roll down the windows and inflict it on pedestrians. It makes me want to jump off buildings and land on my feet. It makes me want to drive fast.

Streetcore by Joe Strummer. Nevermind the Sex Pistols, I'll take The Clash. Not that Joe Strummer's posthumously released album sounds much like The Clash. Still, it has stripped down, punk sensibilities, even in its quiet folkiness. Plus, a brilliant cover of 'Redemption Song'.


Someone commented that I didn't list what I'm watching in my last post. That's because I have a 2 1/2 year old son who makes my days as a moviegoer about 2 1/2 years past. I get out to a flick every once in awhile, but I usually have to wait to rent and then never get around to renting. I am looking forward to renting "Half Nelson". I hear good things. I'm watching "Heroes" on TV (the only show I make a point of watching), but will be giving up TV for lent. So, not much watching for a little while.

2 comments:

Jason said...

I can keep you abreast of Heroes when you're not watching if you'd like. When I saw the previews for the pilot, I thought, "Oh, so it's Misfits of Science with a dark tone." But after watching the pilot, I knew I'd get hooked. And I am.

"Sabotage" is not only one of the Beastie's best songs, it may be the funniest music video of all time.

adam said...

A couple of thoughts...

I agree with Jason--"Sabatoge" is amazing and a constant on my iPod. And Lyle Lovett...what can I say? He's as talented as he is ugly.

As for movies, when you get a chance (and when the little on is not around) you NEED to check out "Pan's Labyrinth". One of the best movies I've seen in some time. Wonderfully imaginative and visually stirring.