Friday, February 23, 2007

Reading and Listening

I said it would be every week, and that works out about right. A couple of books per week and a change out in the stereo. All that brings us to this week's installment of what I'm reading/listening to.

Reading:

Divine Nobodies by Jim Palmer. I've had about 6 different friends recommend this to me, so it's really about time. Not that far into it yet, but it has a Donald Miller feel to it. I'm enjoying it. A sort of spiritual memoir about a minister who almost threw in the towel and the people that helped him find his way back.

Searching For Truth by John Polkinghorne. Polkinghorne is a well respected physicist and theologian. This is a collection of Lenten meditations on science and faith. One for each day of Lent, in the style of a 'My Upmost For His Highest'.

Still working my way through The Brothers K and Decoding the Universe.


Listening to:

Clemency by Summer Hymns. Has that easy folkie indie feel of Neil Young's 'Harvest' or The Byrds 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo'. Summer Hymns get better with each album (this is their second to latest). Put out by the Misra label and is a sunnier version of other artists that Misra produces.

Our Endless Numbered Days by Iron & Wine. Neither this nor Clemency are particularly new albums (both came out in 2003 or 2004, I think), but this, like Clemency, is a favorite I hadn't pulled out in a little while. Rachel and I pulled it out last night and soaked it in while we played cards. At one point, one of us mentioned that it felt like we'd gone back in time. Very cozy and warm and heartfelt and sad.

The Very Best of...The Tremeloes. Wow. I forget how amazing The Tremeloes are. Those not familiar with the name would still recognize a few of their songs ('Here Comes My Baby', 'Silence Is Golden'). That stuff is the tip of the iceberg. For fans of the British Invasion (particularly The Kinks). I dare you to listen to 'Hello World' and stay in a bad mood.

2 comments:

Jason said...

I've read Polkinghorne's Belief in God in an Age of Science. I found it quite thought provoking. I share his assertion that theology and science do not have to be at odds. Science seeks to answer "how" questions; theology seeks to answer "why." I think the conflict in Western culture stems in large part from either discipline presuming it can answer the other's questions.

Kester said...

i'd disagree somewhat, although i'm mostly with you. i'd say that they not only don't have to be at odds, they don't have to be separate. there's theology in creation and there's science in it too. i'm not sure it's always about them answering different questions as answering the same questions together.

i can approach the song "amazing grace" from two angles. one is as a collection of words (made up of letters) and melody (made of notes). one is as the story of john newton. another is as my story. and so on. i not only think these things don't have to be separated, i think they shouldn't be.