Thursday, February 8, 2007

A Case For The 90's

Anybody who is anything more than a casual listener of mainstream music has a decade that they insist produced almost no good music. I've heard it said again and again, and the decade that suffers most tends to be the 90's. Just the other day, another friend (and fellow music lover) of mine made this same case and challenged me to come up with definitive albums that the 90's produced. Here are 20 artist/bands and the albums they produced:

The Bends/OK Computer -Radiohead
The Soft Bulletin -The Flaming Lips
In The Aeroplane Over The Sea -Neutral Milke Hotel
Slanted & Enchanted/Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain -Pavement
Nevermind/In Utero -Nirvana
Endtroducing -DJ Shadow
I See A Darkness -Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Fear of A Black Planet -Public Enemy
Siamese Dream -Smashing Pumpkins
Odelay -Beck
The Three EPs -The Beta Band
Being There/Summerteeth -Wilco
Check Your Head -The Beastie Boys
Bone Machine -Tom Waits
Automatic For The People -R.E.M.
Either/Or -Elliot Smith
Grace -Jeff Buckley
Achtung Baby -U2
Ten/Vs. -Pearl Jam
The Score -The Fugees

Sound off. Let me know if I made my case.

2 comments:

RC said...

ben folds five, smashing pumpkins, atlantis morisette, jewel, sheryl crowe, live, counting crows.

the 90s were AWESOME. My favorite music decade.

(p.s. no you don't know me, but i do enjoy your blog)

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

sarah said...

great list. i completely agree.