Thursday, January 25, 2007

Best Albums of 2006

1. And The Opera Circuit -Micah P. Hinson
In 1996, I was just 20 years old and attending Abilene Christian University. Micah Hinson was just the kid of one of my professors. A couple of years later, I heard Micah had taken a turn into some heavy addiction and other less than stellar pursuits. So I was surprised (pleasantly) to discover, a few years ago, that Micah was getting himself together and had cut an album. Better yet, that it was a fantastic album. Since then, his output has only gotten better. This album is his best yet. For fans of: Tom Waits/Americana/Indie Pop

2. Boys and Girls In America -The Hold Steady
I have Chuck Klosterman to thank for The Hold Steady. I was just starting to hear some buzz about their album Separation Sunday (that it was for fans of early Springsteen, of which I am) when he came to do a signing at BookPeople. We got to chatting about music and he insisted that I should go out and buy Separation Sunday and Almost Killed Me. I was stunned at how quickly they became one of my favorite bands (and how few of my friends enjoy them). Separation Sunday is still my favorite of the three, but Boys and Girls is still amazing. For fans of: Bruce Springsteen/Thin Lizzy/The Replacements/Rock

3. American Recordings V: A Hundred Highways -Johnny Cash
The first time my wife, Rachel, almost broke up with me was the day she asked why I was wearing all black and I answered "It's Johnny Cash's birthday." I'm as much a fan of the man as the music (probably more) and his stuff with Rick Rubin has been some of his best. This last one didn't make the same splash as some of the others in the American Recordings series, but I count it as second only to American Recordings IV.

4. Post War -M. Ward
I got into M. Ward while I was living in the Chapel Hill area and Merge music was everywhere. I remember thinking that I hoped he wouldn't morph into something deemed more "accessible" as he continued to record. Post War manages to be accessible and radio friendly without ever compromising the talent that made his previous work so incredible. For fans of: Stephen Stills/Townes Van Zandt/Singer-Songwriter

5. The Trials of Van Occupanther -Midlake
I initially heard Midlake on a Paste magazine insert that featured a track off of their first album. I ran out and bought it on that track alone. I then proceeded to wear that album out. When I heard that they were releasing a second album, I was ecstatic. As good as the first one was, I love this one even more. For fans of: Neil Young/Fleetwood Mac/Indie Rock

6. Fewer Moving Parts -David Bazan
I became a Pedro the Lion fan in college, turned on to them by a friend who insisted that it wasn't "that kind" of Christian rock. He was right. Lyrically and musically, it was light years beyond anything I had ever attributed to the Christian rock scene. I've spent the last decade keeping an eye out for anything new that Pedro might release and have always been happy that I did. This David Bazan (the man behind the lion) solo release was no exception. It is as good as anything Pedro ever recorded. For fans of: Pedro the Lion/Fugazi/Indie Rock/Singer-Songwriter

7. Secondathallum -Andre Ethier
Thank you Cole. I could say this about a lot of the music I've discovered this past year. None more so than with Ethier. The lead singer of Deadly Snakes, Ethier goes the calmer singer/songwriter route on his solo debut. As intense as anything by the Snakes, but with greater nuance and subtlety. For fans of: The Band/Bob Dylan/Tom Waits/Van Morrison/Indie Rock/Folk Rock

8. Modern Times -Bob Dylan
A few of my favorites didn't make my top 20 this year (The Boss being among them), but Bob followed Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft with an album worthy of the trilogy. A brilliant picture of America on the brink.

9. The Crane Wife -The Decemberists
Remember what I said about M. Ward and compromise? Same worry when I heard that The Decemberists were making their major label debut. I needn't have been concerned. The Decemberists remembered that when yo're this good, popular culture comes to you. For fans of: Robyn Hitchcock/The Smiths/Chamber Pop/Indie Pop

10. And Now That I'm In Your Shadow -Damien Jurado
Damien Jurado is one of my favorite artists that no one has ever heard of. Part Micah Hinson, part David Bazan, but less fuzzy and more haunting. This is his best album to date.

11. Mockingbird -Derek Webb
12. Shearwater -Palo Santo
13. The Information -Beck
14. The River In Reverse -Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint
15. The Greatest -Cat Power
16. The Avalanche -Sufjan Stevens

No comments: