Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Worship and a Good Mix


Today a friend asked me what advice I would give if I were Rob Gordon describing how to make a good mix. I think the advice he gives is pretty strong, especially the part about "stuff she'd like." I'd say that a good mix should feature a combination of something you know the listener likes and something you like that you think they will like. That way, the mix shows both that you've been listening and that you have something to say. It is a conversation. The point of a good mix is to connect your heart to someone else's heart.

For some reason, describing a mix tape this way reminded me of the importance of putting together a worship experience, because the purpose, while greater, is, at its core, the same. To connect our heart to the heart of God. You want, first and foremost, to honor the recipient, which is God. But part of how you do that is choosing to say things in a way that is specifically meaningful to you.

I don't think I had every thought of planning worship as making a mixtape for God, but I think there's something to it. What do you think?

No comments: