Sunday, February 15, 2009

A New Beginning...


Rachel and I have been talking about adoption for awhile. As an idea we were both in favor of, we've talked about it since before we were married. As something we might want to pursue ourselves, we've talked and prayed about it for the past few months.

It became a decision we finally made yesterday. Now begins the even longer process of exploring adoption options and going through the formal process of adoption.

Part of my regular blog posts will be describing this process.

As it begins, the two overwhelming emotions are excitement and anxiety. It feels much the same way that I felt days after we said, "OK, let's try and have a baby." Which feels good. Because that decision has turned out to be a great one.

I will be looking for encouragement from all of you and advice from any of you who have personal experience with adoption. 

I am the best kind of scared today. I can't help thinking that our child is on it's way into the world. That it might be here already, just waiting for us to come.

I pray for the man and woman who will bring/have brought this child into the world. I pray for their circumstances and their struggle. I pray for good health. I pray for protection over them. 

I pray for the man and woman who will bring this child into their home. I pray that God will make us wise and that He will produce the fruit of His Spirit in us; self-control, gentleness, faithfulness, goodness, kindness, patience, peace, joy, and love.

I pray for Harry as we go through this experience, that he will continue to know how loved he is and will grow in his own love and anticipation for his new sibling.

I pray for the child who will join our family. I pray for our family, that it will bless this child.

And because I don't know which one will be mine, and because that reminds me that each of them are precious, I pray for every child that needs a family. I pray God's mercy and peace over each and every one of them. And I pray that we might all, in our own way, be agents of that mercy and peace for them.

2 comments:

Blake said...

I have 2 adopted siblings and I can tell you it is a huge blessing. They were adopted through Christian Homes in Abilene, TX. I also have friends who went to Cambodia and adopted an 18 month old daughter. They said they literally went to a warehouse of orphans to pick her up there and it was heartbreaking to see so many children being cared for in an instituional setting.
I pray blessings over your journey to recieve a new child.

Cary said...

Kester - My friend Ruth had linked to your post about considering adoption. Some friends of mine recently went through the process and she kept a very extensive blog detailing the entire story. You may find parts of it very enlightening - Jessica and John Anderson's Here's to Hope.

God bless you in your journey.

Cary