Tuesday, November 25, 2008

One Thought, One Poem


The great illusion of leadership is to think that man can be led out of the desert by someone who has never been there.  
-Henri Nouwen, The Wounded Healer


Holy One,
there is something I wanted to tell you
but there have been errands to run,
bills to pay,
arrangements to make,
meetings to attend,
friends to entertain,
washing to do...
and I forget what it is I wanted to say to you,
and mostly I forget what I'm about,
or why.
O God,
don't let me forget, please
for the sake of Jesus Christ...

O Father in Heaven,
perhaps you've already heard what I wanted to tell you.
What I wanted to ask is
forgive me,
heal me,
increase my courage, please.
Renew in me a little of love and faith,
and a sense of confidence,
and a vision of what it might mean
to live as though you were real,
and I mattered,
and everyone was sister and brother.

What I wanted to ask in my blundering way is
don't give up on me,
don't become too sad about me,
but laugh with me,
and try again with me,
and I will with you, too.
-Ted Loder, Guerrillas of Grace

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did you leave out "and Mother" like he wrote it and just keep Father?

Kester said...

this is exactly how i found it when i read it. granted, i did not pull it from the original book, but i assumed it was like the original.