Sunday, March 2, 2008

Thirst For The Word



"The days are coming," declares the Sovereign LORD,
"when I will send a famine through the land-
  not a famine of food or a thirst for water,
  but a famine of hearing the words of the LORD."
-Amos 8:11

So, this week's passage for Lent is the story of the woman at the well. It is a reminder that those of us who might pursue other things in our thirst, must turn to Jesus Christ, the source of living water, if we want to stop thirsting.

In preaching from this passage, I spent time reading other passages on thirst and hunger. I came across the passage from Amos 8, and I realized something frightening. I don't thirst for words of the LORD. I'm more likely to use my Bible as a preaching tool than as a place that I return to for daily sustenance. And I've been wondering why that is.

It isn't that I don't value the Bible, its words carry more weight in my life than any other book. It is my "desert island" book. Yet I find myself having to "make time" for it more than thirsting for it. 

So I'm putting this within the context of Lent and the context of fasting and I'm realizing that maybe I don't give myself enough opportunity to thirst for the words of the LORD. Maybe when I thirst for words (and I am a voracious reader), I just reach for whatever is handy. Maybe I'm so full that I can no longer be moved. Maybe it takes a desert island experience to bring about a desert island thirst.

So, here's what I'm doing. For the rest of Lent, no more books but the Bible. Even as I write that, my stomach gets kind of sick. Which is probably a good thing. Maybe those are hunger pangs.

Let's be clear about two things. First, I don't think reading books besides the Bible is bad. I'm sure anyone who knows me doesn't have to be told that, but just so we're clear. Secondly, I don't announce this here to get credit points, but because if I don't tell you I'm doing it, I won't do it. This will be the hardest thing I have ever given up for Lent. 

But my hope and prayer is a renewed thirst for the words of the LORD. My desire is to get back to reading it the way I did when I first fell in love with its story. Pray for me.

3 comments:

Sarah B said...

I also struggle with the having the thirst for the Word at times. You are taking a bold step, but one I believe God will bless. Thanks for allowing the blog world to give you some accountability. I will pray.

craig said...

We will pray. You'll be on our heart. We'll pray for you.

Grace and peace.

Shelton Green said...

Very brave to put it out there that your thirst for the word is not what you'd like it to be. I find myself in the same boat and identify with this post very much. Great stuff. I also will pray for you. Keep on....