Thursday, August 9, 2007

Shakey

I am a sucker for biographies, especially music bios. My favorite is Cash by Johnny Cash, but a close second is Shakey by Jimmy McDonough. It is the authorized biography of Neil Young and has everything that a biography that isn't an autobiography should have -revealing interviews, insightful critique, apocrypha and anecdote, and just the smallest bit of the author himself. McDonough's access to Young is stunning, given Young's reputation for being a bit of a recluse. McDonough understands that we come to this book from different angles -love of the music, love of the man, love of a good story- and he gives us lots of each. Whether Harvest is your favorite album, Young is your favorite artist, or biography is your favorite genre, this will be one of your favorite books. The chapter on the making of Tonight's The Night alone is worth the $15.

1 comment:

happytheman said...

Okay you sold me ... but i'm not buying into Tonight's the Night like your are.... one of my favorite albums is Zuma it's in my truck right now...i can get lost in Cortez...and of course the only CSNY song for years "Through my Sails"