Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Making Online Community Into Real Community

So, let's face it, myspace can be creepy. Yourspace can be too. All our space are belong to us, but that doesn't mean that they aren't regularly invaded by some imaginary girl whose name has an "i" where a "y" should be. Facebook isn't quite as bad, but it still has stalker potential, and I'd still be policing it like a hawk, if I had a 15 year old daughter (note to parents with 15 year old daughters, please police their use of myspace).

That said, I am a part of both (though less and less of myspace) and have gained something from it that runs counter to its whole asthetic...making real friends.

See, occasionally, I'll get an add request (someone who is also online will ask to be your "friend") and will (unless the person is clearly imaginary and trying to sell me something) grant said request. However, I quickly want to get to know the person and find out why they wanted to know me. This serves to weed out the weirdos. It also serves to create new and lasting friendships.

Martin is just one example. Martin and I met through facebook and a common interest in social justice. Martin and I went to grab a cup of coffee at Dominican Joe. Now Martin and I (and a group of like-minded folks) go grab a beer together every Tuesday evening at the Dog & Duck. Say what you will about facebook, I wouldn't have met Martin without it, and I like Martin.

It seems that I regularly hear people having conversations about what a strange thing online communities can be. This isn't my plug for online community. However, it is my suggestion that we can turn online community into real community. People become a part of a myspace or facebook because they're looking to connect to other people. Those of us who value real community can see online community as a chance to reach out to people. People who need people (OK, I'm kidding...really, that was a joke).

If you're wary of online communities, you probably have valid objections and I won't try to talk you out of them. However, if you are a part of online communities, let me encourage you to take them out into the real world, to gather them together over a beer or a cup of coffee. It can be an amazing thing.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Agreed.....I have a few friends that started out as blog-friends -- we read and commented on the same blogs and started reading and commenting on each other's blog. Finally meeting in person was surreal, but so wonderful. Now anytime we can be in the same city and meet up is time to cherish.