Friday, April 6, 2007

Reading and Listening

Decoding the Universe. Still working. May need to put this down.

Exiles. Still reading. Still excellent. Also reading Douglas John Hall's "The End of Christendom and the Future of Christianity" as a sort of supplement. Both amazing books.

The Yiddish Policeman's Union. Almost finished. It's fantastic. Unless he completely blows the ending, this is Michael Chabon's (Wonder Boys, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay) best book yet.

Judas Unchained by Peter Hamilton. The sequel to Pandora's Star. I'm not usually a sci-fi guy, but this is good for the same reasons the new Battlestar is good.

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. Reread. So amazing. Better than Housekeeping, which was hard to beat.

Listening to Dinosaur Jr. I'm not sure if you might have missed them, but they're for all you Nirvana/Pixies/Pavement fans. But before all those guys.

Listening to Smog as I await the upcoming Bill Callahan album. Looking for anyone who has laid hands on an advance copy of this or the new Bright Eyes.

Listening to my Sidewalk Singalong Mix. Check it out by clicking on Kester's Art of the Mix in my links.

2 comments:

Günter said...

I'm reading the ARC of Yiddish Policemen's Union, too, though I'm not as close to the end as I'd like to be. I keep having to read it in sips of 20 pages, rather than the 200-page swallows I'd like. I'm at the part where Zimbalist is telling Landsman and Berko a Mendel story.

I'm going to keep an eye on your blog, because we seem to have a lot in common. I'm involved, too, with a pretty cool church plant here in Lincoln, NE. And a Chabon fan! And a fan of the Long Distance Runner stories!

Jason said...

I like your mix themes and song selections. Of course, I expected nothing less from a music connoisseur.

I was a bit surprised that "I'm Always in Love" and "Poor Places" didn't make either of the Wilco discs. They've got tons of good material to choose from, though.

I think Rhett Miller's "The El" may be a good addition to the "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" mix.