Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Mother Theresa, Tim Wood, and the Service Industry


Mother Theresa once said, "You can do no great things, only small things with great love."

My buddy Tim Wood asks, "What can I do for you?" as a part of his standard greeting. And he means it.

Those who work in the service industry are trained to ask the question, "How can I help you?"

We tend to get so overwhelmed by the troubles of the world that we opt for benevolence over service. Not that benevolence doesn't have its place, but writing a check can be our way of not getting involved.

What if, instead, we went through life simply asking the question "What can I do for you?" or "How can I help you?" What if we understood that we can't do the impossible, but committed to doing what we can? What if we went out into the world ready to serve God in our service to others; ready to feed the hungry and clothe the naked and visit those who are sick and in prison?

We might just change the world.

No comments: