Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Change


Saw a bumper sticker today that read: 

I'll keep my guns, my freedom and my money and you can keep "The Change!"

Now, set aside for a minute conservative and liberal politics and the fact that "my guns, my freedom and my money" is clearly meant to be the conservative camp and "The Change" is meant to point to Obama. I'm not campaigning for conservatives or Obama.

But I do think that many of the problems of this world boil down to us trying to keep what's "ours." I'm going to get what I want, even if it stands in the way of what you need. And you can't do anything to change that.

And then Christ steps into the picture. Christ who was "in very nature God" and yet "did not consider equality with God something to be grasped." Christ who had power. Power that was simply His due. And yet He didn't cling to it. He gave it up. 

Gave it up so that you and I could get what we need to survive. Love. Forgiveness. Salvation. A new Way to walk. A change.

A change so drastic that those whose power and weapons and money and freedom were threatened by Him came to only one conclusion; this man has to die.

Now I'm no fan of guns and money, but this isn't about that. It's about the things we refuse to let go of because we consider them our due.

When if we really got what was coming to us, we'd all be screwed.

Let us instead let go of what's destroying us and the ways in which we're destroying one another. Let us learn to walk in a new way. His Way. Let's be followers of Christ.

For a change.

1 comment:

thepriesthood said...

hey bro. recently Greg was talking about how the Jews were looking for a sign, the Greeks for wisdom, and Americans are looking for "what's in it for me." essentially, if it helps everyone else, but not me, i'm not interested.