Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Trust and Obey


Had an interesting interaction with Harry today. Was portioning out his lunch and he asked that I let him have all the fruit we have in the fridge. I said no. He asked why. I said that it was too much. He said it wasn't. I said it was and that he'd just have to trust me. He said, "I trust you, dad, I just disagree."

This struck me as how we often come before God. We declare trust in God, but we "disagree" on the specifics. We say that God is all powerful, all knowing, that all that He does and says is right and good.

Then He says, "Love your enemies." Then He says, "Turn the other cheek." Then He says, "Bless those who persecute you." Then He says, "Do not return evil for evil, but overcome evil with good." Then He says, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth."

And we disagree. We trust, but we don't obey.

Which really means that we don't trust at all.

No comments: