Thursday, April 23, 2009

One In Every Family


I have a confession to make. I've always been really embarrassed by my great-grandfather.

His name was Harold Smith, and he might have had his pleasant attributes, but I never got to see them. From the time I first knew him, he was an angry and unpleasant old man, constantly complaining and arguing.

But the thing that bothered me most was his unapologetic racism. My family has story after story of his ignorant and hateful comments, none worse than those directed at my older brother, Scott.

So, there have been times when I have wished I could have some other history, some other heritage, some other person to claim as mine.

Today I made a great discovery. Harold's wife Bea had a great-grandmother named Laura Smith Haviland. She is my great-great-great-great grandmother. And this is her story.

I could not be prouder of my history and heritage.

2 comments:

Johnny Rollerfeet said...

I have a theory about grand/parents passing along ideals that they cannot practice themselves. For instance my grandparents were fairly racist, but they encouraged my parents to not be, and they were in high school about 60 miles away from the Little Rock Nine. My parents are fairly homophobic but they discouraged that in me. I am an omnivore who believes vegetarianism is a smart progressive idea, but I'll never be converted myself.

Sarah B said...

What an awesome life story. You should definitely be proud. Also a good reminder that we don't have to be trapped by the prevailing thoughts of our own time.