Sunday, January 4, 2009

Epiphany Thought


The celebration of Epiphany revolves around the story of the Magi and the response we make to the Light come into the world.

As I read this story this week, I ask these questions:

Other than God, what are some things in my life that have a claim on my allegiance?

There are things we give our allegiance to, and yet Christ demands our total allegiance. What are the ways in which my allegiance to Christ calls me to go "another way" from my allegiance to other things? How does allegiance to Christ critique my allegiance to family/work/nation?

The Magi come bearing gifts fit for a king or even a god. One of the ways we show our allegiance is in how we give/use our gifts. Does the way I give/use my gifts show an allegiance to other things or to Christ? Does Christ get the best I have to offer or just what's left once all other allegiances have had their share?

No comments: