Monday, August 4, 2008

Thoughts on 10 Years Married


We almost didn't make it to our anniversary party yesterday.

Not because our car wouldn't start, but because our marriage got off to such a rocky one.

Two weeks before our wedding, the job that was going to keep us safe and secure fell through.

We went off on our honeymoon not knowing where we'd live when we returned.

The first two years saw lots of stress and anxiety over money and jobs.

For about a month, the last thing I wanted to do at the end of the day was come home.

For a week, about 8 years ago, I didn't think we were going to make it. My bags were packed.

It seems like a weird thing to bring up when you're celebrating 10 years, except that yesterday was a day of renewed vows and promises.

And, at the time, the only reason we stayed together was because we had promised we would and because we believed that things could get better.

My wife has shown me what faithfulness means, by sticking it out through hard times as well as good. I'm not sure we understood "for better or worse" when we first promised it, but I think we understand it a little better now.

She has been true to me when life wasn't easy and when I wasn't easy to live with.

She has been faithful and loving and challenging and encouraging.

She has reminded me to depend on God and to keep Christ at the center of my life and my marriage.

I believe that marriage is a kind of sacrament, that we shouldn't simply marry someone who makes us happy, but someone who helps us to become who we are called to be.

Rachel has helped me be who I am called to be. She is my partner and my lover and my best friend. She is my confidante and my comfort. She is funny and smart and sexy. She is compassionate and kind and generous and joyful.

She continues to love me despite knowing everything about me.

I am thankful to her for that.

I am thankful to God that we made it to today.

Because things did get better. There have been more amazing days than difficult ones and even many of the difficult ones have been amazing because she was there to share them with. 

And I find that the thing I most want to do at the end of the day is come home.

2 comments:

David and Michelle Simpson said...

Very interesting perspective. I know I like my marriage better now than ever. I think the first few years are always challenging. Thank you for the insight and happy 10.

The Horns and the Hawk said...

"I believe that marriage is a kind of sacrament, that we shouldn't simply marry someone who makes us happy, but someone who helps us to become who we are called to be."

i like this. i think it's why i married the girl i did, and why she married me. we're clocking in at 5 months. not quite 10 years, but we're steadily working our way there.