Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Yadda Yadda Yadda...I'm Really Tired Today

So here's the "yadda yadda"

Last night at 8:30pm, Bruce Springsteen took the stage of the Toyota Center, in Houston, and began to play the opening chords of "Cadillac Ranch" (an opener he has used at 3 of the 4 Texas shows I've seen him do, and one that he must associate with Texas). The night went as follows:

Cadillac Ranch
Radio Nowhere
Lonesome Day
Atlantic City
Magic
Because the Night
Candy's Room
She's The One
Out In The Street
Livin' In The Future
The Promised Land
Girls In Their Summer Clothes
The E Street Shuffle
Terry's Song
Devil's Arcade
The Rising
Last To Die
Long Walk Home
Badlands
Thunder Road
*  *  *
Always A Friend (w/Alejandro Escovedo)
All Just To Get To You (w/Joe Ely)
Rosalita
Born To Run
Tenth Avenue Freeze Out
American Land

Only a few minor missteps (this is the Boss, after all), in my opinion. "Candy's Room" may be my least favorite Springsteen song, and I'd have happily seen it replaced with "Darkness On The Edge of Town." "American Land" (Bruce's attempt at Pete Seeger) has a fun melody, but makes conspicuous one of Bruce's only (occasional) flaws as a songwriter; the desire to cram too many syllables into too little space. 

Highlights were numerous and included:

Cadillac Ranch -as I said, I like that this seems to be Bruce's "Texas tune". I like that while Bruce, like myself, isn't a Texan, he clearly has, like myself, an affection for the Lone Star state.

Atlantic City -while I will always love the brooding original, this song is enhanced by the E Street Band in a way that I can't quite describe.

Because The Night -the pure unexpectedness of its inclusion (co-written in the late 70's with Patti Smith and never included on any of Springsteen's studio albums) made it a delight.

Livin' In The Future -not everyone likes when the Boss gets political, but I appreciate his willingness to speak out.

The Promised Land -after 5 Springsteen concerts, I have come to the conclusion that some of his best live performances feature songs from the "Darkness On The Edge of Town" album.

The E Street Shuffle -requested by an audience member. Bruce's response was that he hadn't performed it in 20 years. He went on to ask if the band was up for it, they nodded nonchalantly and launched into a stunning rendition of the song. I was blown away. If it were anyone but Bruce, I'd have assumed the request was made by an audience plant.

The Rising -this song should forever be featured in Bruce's live set. It was made to be performed live. One of the most uplifting (no pun intended) moments of the night.

Badlands/Thunder Road -the best closing I've seen Bruce do in 5 shows.

The encore -This could have been the best encore I had ever seen Bruce do, had he ended with a different song or simply wrapped with "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out." "American Land" feels overtly political, which somehow makes it less so. In the same way that Dylan's "Every Grain of Sand" is a more "Christian" song than "Gotta Serve Somebody", Bruce has far more "political" songs than "American Land." I wouldn't have minded if he had ended with "Born In The U.S.A." For being a song about Vietnam vets, it is eerily timely. Woody Guthrie's "This Land Is Your Land" (which Bruce used to perform at live shows in the 80's) would have also been amazing. 

An incredible show, all in all. The best live show I have ever attended, Bruce or otherwise.

BRUUUUUUUUUCE!!

2 comments:

Jason said...

I'm envious. I was hoping he'd come through Tennessee on the current leg of the tour. Alas, no.

Speaking of the Boss, you may enjoy this cover of "The River" on backstreets.com:

http://www.backstreets.com/Assets/Audio/JoshRitter_TheRiver_Live091207.mp3

preacherman said...

Yadda, Yadda, Yadda, I really like this one. Yeadda.
Have a great weekend.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry