Monday, February 18, 2008

Something Approaching Reality

I am increasingly sad for Britney Spears. I don't tend to pay attention to the tabloids, I don't get into celebrity worship, I don't ever read US magazine, but the news on her is hard to avoid. The borderline joy that so many seem to feel at watching this trainwreck of a life is all the more depressing.

Lately, I have thought that the best thing for folks like Spears would be to be taken in by the most normal of families and to have to live by their real life and everyday lifestyle and rules.

So, here's my idea. I need feedback on whether this makes matters worse. I realize that reality television only contributes to the problem, but I'm not sure how else to make this happen...

It's a show called "Something Approaching Reality". We find a very normal, very centered family and move a different celebrity into their house every season. Maybe it's a different family every season, in order to keep the families themselves from becoming wrapped up in celebrity. The celebrity has to abide by house rules. They have to be normal. But the point isn't to try and create chaos. This isn't "The Simple Life" or whatever the crap that show is called. This is people who need to detox from the celebrity life.

Thoughts?

I just want this girl to get well.

2 comments:

Terrace Crawford said...

I would probably watch. I admit I'm intrigued by celebrities but some of them honestly have NO CLUE what life is like for the average Joe. I have nothing against Oprah but she made a statement a while back that she has not pumped her own gas since 1985. Point proven. Are you planning to pitch the show to anyone?

kristine said...

I think it's a great idea. I'm just not sure where you're going to find these 'normal' families who aren't prone to celebrity google eyed wonder?