Wednesday, June 6, 2007

My Beginning, The Beginning, and New Beginnings

Today is my 31st birthday. I approach it with a whole lot of hope and excitement. A lot of that has to do with the fact that 30 was one of the best years of my life. Much of what made it so fantastic are things that will continue to be true for 31.

I work part time in an amazing bookstore. My co-workers are some of my best friends, and everyday is one more opportunity to get to know them a little better. That, and I get a 35% discount on books. Greatness.

I work full time as a pastor for the Immanuel Austin Community. This church has been such a blessing to me life. Never has a group of people been such a consistent example to me of what it means to belong to a community of faith. I am more grateful for them than I can possibly say.

I continue to grow closer to my parents and siblings. The fact that most of us call Austin home has been a blessing. For many people, being this close to family would feel confining, but I find that we see each other just enough to continue to become better and better friends.

I am Harry's dad. Every day this kid gets funnier, more interesting, and all around more enjoyable. You never imagine, on the day your kid is born, that you could ever love them more and then, every day that passes, you do. I look forward to watching Harry turn 3 and maybe even bringing him a baby brother or sister.

I am Rachel's husband. Today we hung out together around Austin, held hands, shared memories, shared food, shared silence. All of it was a reminder of how great Rachel is. She's sexy and funny and smart and fiesty and gentle and kind. She defines the word partner. Years ago, a mentor of mine described marriage as a conversation, and I have found that to be an apt description. Rachel has certainly kept up her end of the conversation. Every day is one more opportunity to get to know her better.

I am a follower of Jesus and a child of God. As I reflect on my own beginning, I reflect on THE beginning. I recall the words of God who looked on His created humanity and called it "very good". I'm reminded of how quickly we fell short of "very good" and of how often I fall short of it.

And I am reminded that every day that we walk in the Way of Jesus is an opportunity to begin again, from the day we are born again and every day following. I am reminded that every day Jesus offers the invitation to take up a cross and follow him. And I am grateful for the opportunity to follow him, to serve him, and to become more like him.

I am thankful for beginnings and for the God who created them.

4 comments:

Alisa said...

feliz cumpleanos! and countless more days of goodness to you.

happytheman said...

happy birthday man

Sarah B said...

I love beginnings, too. That was a beautiful description of where your life is now and the great expectations you have for this year.

Richard said...

So cool the way you honored your wife here. It reminded me of just how much my wife means to me. Belated birthday blessings to you!