Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Best Albums of 2009


1. Veckatimest -Grizzly Bear
2. A Brief History of Love -The Big Pink
3. Album -Girls
4. Grey-Eyed Girls -The Fresh & Onlys
5. Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix -Phoenix
6. Time To Die -The Dodos
7. Hospice -The Antlers
8. XX -The XX
9. Bitte Orca -Dirty Projectors
10. Stockholm Syndrome -Derek Webb
11. Manners -Passion Pit
12. Wilco (the album) -Wilco
13. To Willie -Phosphorescent
14. Curse Your Branches -David Bazan
15. Hold Time -M. Ward
16. Cosmic Egg -Wolfmother
17. Belly of the Lion -Ola Podrida
18. Popular Songs -Yo La Tengo
19. Dim The Aurora -Monahans
20. No Line On The Horizon -U2

and, for those who are interested...

Best albums of 2009 mix:

1. Two Weeks -Grizzly Bear
2. Dominos -The Big Pink
3. Hellhole Ratface -Girls
4. The Delusion of Man -The Fresh & Onlys
5. Lisztomania -Phoenix
6. Fables -The Dodos
7. Epilogue -The Antlers
8. Crystalised -The XX
9. Temecula Sunrise -Dirty Projectors
10. The Spirit Vs. The Kick Drum -Derek Webb
11. Moth's Wings -Passion Pit
12. Country Disappeared -Wilco
13. The Last Thing I Needed (First Thing This Morning) -Phosphorescent
14. Please, Baby, Please -David Bazan
15. Epistemology -M. Ward
16. White Feather -Wolfmother
17. We All Radiant -Ola Podrida
18. Here To Fall -Yo La Tengo
19. It's Enough To Leave You...  -Monahans
20. No Line On The Horizon -U2

3 comments:

thepriesthood said...

Thank you for not rating animal collective's recent as the best album ever, like all the other critics. They say it's game changing, but there's not enough about it I find compelling.

agreed that The antlers hospice is an amazing work.

Also, Bazans album is really good. Saw him live and it sounded even better. People sy they feel sorry for him and his lack of faith and the pain it's created, but being honest can feel so cathartic, an that's what I appreciate.

Kester said...

I do appreciate Bazan's transparency, but I do feel for him as well. I'm glad his journey isn't over and I hope his seeking and questioning isn't either. I feel like the "God" he's rejecting is a straw man and hope he doesn't miss the real Christ in the process of rejecting this false "God".

I've always considered Animal Collective to be overrated.

Jason said...

I need to revisit the U2 album. I wore it out for two weeks after I bought it, but I don't think I've listened to it since. I like it; it's just that when I've been in the mood for U2, I haven't felt compelled to grab it.

If I had to pick just a single song from the Phoenix album, I'd be torn between "Lisztomania" and "1901."

I concur that Animal Collective is overrated.