Monday, January 21, 2008

I Love You

Before bed every night, we have an evening routine with my son, Harry. Certain things always happen during this routine. Stories, prayers, songs. One of which is always "Jesus Loves Me".

Because, as Harry grows older, it will be important for him to know points of theology and doctrine and certain things about God and what it means to follow Him and how to approach scripture and so on and so forth. But what he needs to know first and always is this...Jesus loves him.

I may believe in sin and death and the Fall and God and Jesus and the Trinity and I may believe in right and wrong and even that very specific things are always right or always wrong and I may need to make these things known to you, but not before I have made thing perfectly clear...Jesus loves you.

There's a lot of things that I know, as a Christian, that I think it is important (even vital) for others to know. For years I was convinced that it was my job, as a Christian, to make sure that those I came into contact with knew and believed the things that I knew and believed or at least knew that I knew and believed them. And I still, as I just said, believe that it is important that otehrs know and believe many of the things that I have come to know and believe.

That said, I am increasingly convinced that, if I am walking in the Way of Jesus and you only know one thing about me, it should be this...that I love you.

If you are a Christian walking around in this world and trying to walk in the Way of Christ and feeling like there is so much that those who you know need to know about Jesus and about what you believe about Him, remember that there is one thing that they need to know first...that you love them because Christ loves them and because He loves you.

Because it may be cliche, but it's true; they won't care how much you know until they know how much you care.

No comments: