Thursday, July 5, 2007

Celebrate Your Dependence

BE INDEPENDENT

It sits there, in bold typeface, across the front of my red t-shirt. It's a clever play on words, encouraging those who live in Austin to support local, independent businesses. Since I work at such a business (and am a fan of local business, in general), I wear this shirt proudly.

I also like the other side of its double meaning; break out, think, do your own thing, don't be owned by "the man".

But I'm also struck, every time I put it on (and this just shows I think too much) about how much this shirt ISN'T me, or, at least, isn't who I want to be.

I am never more struck by this than on days like Independence Day. Because I'm reminded that I live in a society that values independence above anything.

And, as a Christian, I'm an advocate of dependence. I'm a believer in "trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." I've experienced the truth of "a cord of three strands is not easily broken." I'm defined by being "built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone." I am, in fact, owned by "the Man", and am grateful for it. And one of the eternal truths I declare by being baptized into the Body of Christ is this...I cannot do this alone.

So, last night, I gathered with a group of friends from Immanuel and BookPeople and other connections around Austin, I gathered with my parents and with my sister, I gathered with my wife and with my son, and I looked around and was reminded that I cannot do this alone.

Last night I looked up into the sky to watch fireworks and was struck by the display of clouds and sun going on behind it, the beauty and majesty of all that God has created and was reminded that I cannot do this alone.

Last night I gathered in the presence of God and humanity and nature and thanked God for my relationship with each.

Last night I celebrated my dependence.

1 comment:

adam said...

I like you're sentiments here, though you do think too much. No worried. I do, too.